2008-02-18

The Best Things in Life Are Free

I decided to go out and have some fun this weekend. I wanted to be active a bit, but didn't feel like driving all the way out to Kanata (KRP, ugh) just to get to the gym.

Earlier this week, a coworker was talking about snowshoeing, so the bug bit me - I hadn't gone snowshoeing yet this winter, and I resolved not to let the season end without going out at least once. On Saturday, the weather report showed -11C for the afternoon, so I figured it would be safe to go out on the river a bit and enjoy nature, as well as a bit of peace and quiet outdoors.

Most amazing weather all week:

I packed up my camera, some water, snowshoes (des raquettes, pour les francophones), and some warm clothing, and left home with no idea where exactly I was heading. I decided to start in Westboro and drive west on Richmond / Carling until I found an access to the river. Luckily, it didn't take long - I ended up parking in Britannia Park, and continued westward from there in the snow, on foot.

Ended up staying out until the sun started setting. I tested the ice a bit before venturing out, but it was thick, so no worries. Didn't cross paths with a whole lot of people, but the few I did meet were out hiking or skiing too, and quite friendly.

The weird thing about Ottawa is that the demographics really don't seem to be in my favour for meeting new people my age - Saturday was no exception; friendly people all around, but all in their 30s or 40s. I don't know where all the mid-twentysomethings are in this town.

No comments: