2008-08-24

Wake-up Call for the Foodie

Or: I fail at omnivorism, apparently.

I know how much everyone hates blog memes that rely on propagating lists, but this one has merit as a device to instill humility in this foodie's psyche and renew my drive for exploration and experimentation. I'm talking, of course, about the Very Good Taste Omnivore's Hundred, a list of 100 foods that's making the rounds right now, billed as a collection of meals any self-respecting omnivore must have tried at least once.

Why am I calling this a wake-up call? Because I just went through the exercise and scored a rather pathetic 56%, forcing me to realize just how little I've really experienced. Try it yourself.

Here are the instructions from the original post:
* Copy this list into your blog or journal, including these instructions.
* Bold all the items you've eaten.
* Cross out any items that you would never consider eating.
* Optional extra: Post a comment here at www.verygoodtaste.co.uk linking to your results.

I'm crossing out Whole insects, Fugu, and Roadkill, so I'm really aiming for a score out of 97. Oh, and the insects thing is probably negotiable after a couple of drinks. I did my counting on Google Spreadsheets, so the following should get automatically updated whenever I check off something new.



Update: ah of course, the iframe won't show up in RSS readers. You have to click to go to the real page.

1 comment:

Dave Doolin said...

Being a total coffee snob from the SF Bay Area, not sure Jamaican coffee would impress me all that much.

My introduction to Aged Ethiopian, courtesy of an odd lot picked by Peet's buyers from a Singapore warehouse, led me to seriously consider how to syndicate a coffee aging operation. It was that good.

Then again, I am a total coffee snob!